Sunday, July 8, 2012


HAGGLING 101

I am finding that one of the most enjoyable experiences here is shopping, which is really surprising and uncharacteristic for me. The vendors can be tired and grumpy, but of course they're pleased when one makes a purchase. The haggling over prices is a good chance to practice language and people skills. I may be a little over zealous. I'm getting the sense that people probably do not haggle as much as I do. Still, I've really enjoyed chatting with the vendors and learning more French and culture. 

For example, many of the women in the market do not speak French. They use their children, a nearby vendor, or a helper to translate. They typically don't make eye contact. I'm guessing that they may feel vulnerable as being limited to their dialect in an exchange where the language is French. Once we finalize a price, however, I always ask for a cadeaux, which takes them by surprise. So far, no freebies have been tossed in but the vendors tend to giggle and sometimes even tell me to give them cadeaux.

No comments:

Post a Comment